In this small post, I walk through the steps to remove a dual-switch plate and replace it with a single plate. There isn’t much to it. I did need to turn the power to the switch off as I removed a large electrical box and replaced it with a small single box. This required me to temporarily pull the switch. I also had to cut some wood lathing out of my way. Beside those two things, it was really just a hole patch job.
I’ve had several rental properties since my early twenties (I’m now in my mid-thirties). I had rented this property to the same tenant for 5+ years. Unfortunately, they didn’t let us know about many of the issues and conditions of the property and I didn’t check in much as I live 3 hours from this property.
My wife and I decided to get the property empty, redo the entire home, and sell it. As of this writing, we have the outside done, but the inside is still a work in progress. This project shows one of the rooms we do have done – a small mudroom. It suffered from peeling linoleum, a rotten sub-floor, old OSB walls, no insulation in the outside utility wall, old wood windows, an old entry door, a leaking outside faucet, a corroded connector on the water heater, and a foul odor from pet urine.
It now looks (and smells) great! All the above was replaced and this small utility really does look terrific.
I previously posted a project were I mounted a TV and sound bar in my family room. It was on a knotty pine wall in a sunroom over a gas fireplace. It can be found here. In this post, I mount a TV and sound bar on a drywall wall in my basement.
As I add posts to this blog, I’m basically dumping photos from my iPhone from many projects I worked on over the last several years. Because of this, many details are missing. Basically though, when it comes to mounting TVs it comes to cutting two holes in the wall, running cables, and purchasing a TV wall mount. I’ve purchased all my mounts for cheap at Lowe’s . They have a general mount that is cheap, generic, and works really well for any TV that isn’t massive.
I hope you enjoy the photos and narrative and if you’re looking for missing details, shoot me an email or leave a comment.
In this project, I mounted a TV over a fireplace. The fireplace is gas and the surface knotty pine. When we purchased the home, we decided to make the sunroom our family room. However, the interior wall has an open bar to the kitchen. The one wall has a fireplace, the opposite wall a patio door, and the wall opposite the kitchen is all windows. This left few places for the TV without blocking something, so the natural place to put the TV (in my eyes) was over the fireplace.
I added a sound bar later, so the photos of the mounted TV don’t show it. The last photo shows the mounted sound bar. If you want to just skip to the image with the TV mounted, it is image 12.
Last Spring, I decided to re-lay the brick on my patio. My wife and I purchased the home the fall before and the previous owner didn’t take care of the lawn and outside as well as they should have. Time combined with poor maintenance turned the beautiful brick patio into a ruinous, weed covered eye sore.
Luckily, a little hard work and money was all it took to make it practically maintenance free and beautiful again. Slide through the photos below to follow the project from beginning to end.